By Kimlyn Queen-Weis
“Investing in yourself is the best investment you will ever make. It will not only improve your life, it will improve the lives of all those around you.” — Robin Sharma
I was recently reviewing an article in the HuffPost, by Megan Tull, about the importance and power of investing in yourself. In her article, Megan discusses the top ten ways to invest in yourself:
1) Set goals 2) Honor your intuition 3) Invest time in your creativity 4) Invest in building your confidence 5) Read educational books 6) Attend seminars and workshops 7) Take care of your health 8) Choose to be happy :), 9) Work on your bucket list and 10) Invest in a coach.
As I was reading the article, I immediately began thinking about all the ways that the AHRA can help us invest in ourselves. With AHRA, you might choose to do one, or two, (or all!) of the following:
1) Explore your creativity by volunteering to be a member of the Annual Meeting Design Team (AMDT)
2) Build your confidence by writing an article for Radiology Management, or presenting an educational session during a Spring Conference or Annual Meeting
3) Read educational books like Communication & Information Management in Radiology, Financial Management in Radiology, etc.,
4) Set the inspired goal of becoming a CRA (Certified Radiology Administrator)
5) Attend a seminar, or workshop to sharpen your business skills, or conquer test-taking
The brand new AHRA Leaders of Choice Program kicks off at the Annual Meeting. This year-long, advanced level education program is for leaders ready for C-suite responsibilties and roles.
And the CRA Exam workshop is seeing renewed interest as the CRA becomes a most sought-after credential.
The Annual Meeting’s digital newsletter Convention Daily is an awesome way to offer your perspective on meeting sessions, symposia, or an imaging experience you find worthy of sharing. Sign up here to volunteer to write an article. The editorial team will help make it easy.
According to Megan Tull, whether you are investing in discovering a new skill, professional development, or working with a coach, you need to support yourself first before you can give back and serve others.
There’s no better way to do that than by surrounding yourself with caring, smart, and giving people who are invested in your success— and they’re at the AHRA Annual Meeting! Some call it networking– we tend to think of it as strengthening relationships, growing our body of influence, and well, making life-long friends who are like family.
I would love to hear how you are investing in YOU and how the AHRA can help support your investment. I look forward to seeing everyone at our 50th Annual AHRA meeting.
Kimlyn Queen-Weis, CRA, FAHRA, MS, MBA is the 2021-2022 President of the AHRA Board of Directors. She is Director, System Imaging, at Ohio Health. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reference Tull, Megan. HuffPost. Top 10 way to invest in yourself and why it’s so powerful. Dec. 6, 2017. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/top-10-ways-to-invest-in-_b_8406130