By Marcy P. Rushford, FACHE, CRA, MBA
Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, New Hampshire hosted an AHRA local area meeting on November 11. The event, sponsored by Fujifilm Medical Systems and New Hampshire Radiology Consultants, was well attended, with 27 different organizations represented from New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts.
The meeting was focused on new trends, regulatory changes impacting imaging, and specific legislative changes in the state of New Hampshire:
- Nancy Cappello, PhD, of Are You Dense, Inc. presented information on national trends for breast density legislation and provided an update on proposed legislation in New Hampshire. Her presentation was not only informative, but extremely moving. She shared her own breast cancer story – one that is similar to many women who have been impacted by the lack of breast density reporting nationwide.
- Betsy Angelakis showcased new breast imaging techniques from x-ray, to ultrasound, and MRI, as well as best practices for localization. She expanded on the importance of breast density reporting as well as nurse navigation to bring all care partners together to ensure excellent care and informed patients.
- Richard Frank, CMO and Viola Fernandez, VP of Products from Siemens Medical discussed innovative payment models and technology to bridge the gaps.
- Jason Newmark, 2016-17 AHRA President, discussed the importance of participating in AHRA and the value of education. Jason discussed various initiatives underway in AHRA, including working to ensure members are apprised of regulatory changes, coding updates, and technologies, as well as advocating for our members’ interests regarding important changes in imaging, such as the breast density reporting proposed law (at both State and Federal levels).
- Robert Fabrizio of Fujifilm Medical presented information on the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2016, and options for successful navigation inclusive of DR solutions.
- Brandy Cusson, RT, President of the NHSRT and newly appointed board member for the Imaging Law, presented the NH Imaging Licensure Bill, including the history of the bill and how it came to be signed into law. Her presentation was followed by a panel meeting with additional new board members Dr. David Hou and Richard Serino, CNMT. The panel was moderated by Michael Cloutier, Informatics and Asset Manager at CMC.
Attendees were able to network and tour the imaging department at Catholic Medical Center, and several were recipients of raffle prizes, including membership to the NHSRT, free CE credits, tickets to hockey games, and the newly released AHRA textbook, Human Resource Management in Radiology, 2nd edition.
Marcy P. Rushford, FACHE, CRA, MBA is the director of imaging at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester, NH. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.